How do I submit a story to Yarn?
For starters, decide if you have a story about something that happened to you that changed your outlook on… something. Yourself, your life, your career, your political views, whatever. That’s our main criterion: the story has to be about Change. It should have a beginning, a middle, and an end. It can be funny, heartbreaking, or just interesting. Preferably it should take 30 minutes or less to tell. And it goes without saying that you need to be willing to share this story with the world. Because this is a web-based enterprise, it will be out there for all to hear.
Though we would prefer to identify all storytellers by their actual names, you may choose to have your piece credited to "Anonymous."
Could you ask me some questions to get me thinking?
1. What was the most frightening experience you've ever had?
2. What was the funniest experience you've ever had?
3. What was the funniest and most harrowing experience you've ever had?
4. Who was the most influential person you've met? What experience with this person typifies the influence he/she had on you?
5. Have you had an experience in which you accomplished something you did not think was possible?
6. Have had ever triumphed over what you felt at the time were the forces of evil?
7. Have you had an encounter with a celebrity/well-known individual that made an impression on you?
8. Have you ever made a complete fool of yourself in front of others?
9. Have you ever done something you wished you could take back?
10. Have you ever had a near-death experience?
11. What was the most ill you've ever been? How did it cause you to reflect on your life?
12. What was the happiest you've ever been?
13. What was the most trying experience of your life?
14. Have you ever done something for which you did not apologize, but still wish you could?
15. Have you ever had an experience in a foreign country that taught you a lesson about yourself/your culture?
16. Have you ever been arrested?
17. Have you ever been mistaken for someone else?
18. Have you ever carried out a practical joke that either succeeded or failed?
19. Have you ever had an experience while working that made you think about the nature of your work/vocation/yourself as a worker?
20. Have you ever had to make a life-or-death decision for yourself or someone else?
21. What's the most impulsive thing you've ever done on a date?
22. What's the most impulsive thing you've ever done in the name of love?
23. What's the most impulsive thing you've ever done, period?
24. What was your bravest or most courageous moment?
25. What was the worst injury you've ever sustained?
26. Have you ever had to make the choice between doing the right thing and the wrong thing?
27. What was the one moment in high school you'll never forget, for all the right or wrong reasons?
28. Have you ever been so lost you couldn't find your way back?
29. Have you ever lost or broken something and then not been able to admit it?
OK thanks. I think I have something. What’s the next step?
1. Email us at email@example.com. Give us the basic idea in 1-3 paragraphs. It doesn’t have to be well-written — just a sense of the story’s content and structure, i.e. what is its beginning, middle, and end?
2. We will respond to you shortly thereafter, and say one of the following: (a) Yes, let’s set up a time to record that. (b) It might be a great story, we just need a little more information before we can make a decision (it may be too long or short, or missing certain elements) (c) In our subjective opinion, we don’t think it’s right for this project. (Nothing personal, it’s just not the right piece for this venue)
3. If we decide to record your story, we will contact you and set up an appointment to record, a painless procedure that involves your holding a mike and speaking into it. Everything usually takes no more than an hour. We will be sure to involve you in the process so you're pleased with the finished piece.
Sound good? Then send in your ideas!